It’s a visual world, isn’t it? Imagine a world where people didn’t care about how things looked…back to reality yet? Looks are important and we want you to look GOOD!
Instagram is a visually dominant platform. Many Facebook users are adding Instagram to their social media regime – even some are dropping Facebook all together. Millennials are ruling the website…it’s time to grab their attention!
Before You Begin
When setting up an Instagram account, you have two options. You can set it up as a personal account or a business account. There are pros and cons to both. When you set up a business account you have analytic tools at your disposal. You can check how your posts are doing- reach, impressions, likes, saves and comments. You can even see the best posting times for your audience. Unfortunately, Instagram (just like Facebook) wants to best serve its audience and that means people don’t want to be sold to all the time. Your business page will not be as “favored.” This means algorithms won’t be as beneficial…if people are searching for wine and you’re not the top wine company, personal pages will show up before you.
Still Doesn’t Make Sense
If the algorithm talk still doesn’t makes sense to you, don’t worry. We will be featuring future blogs that explain this in more depth. In short, business pages don’t show up as well as personal pages when people are searching. The benefit of a business account is the analytics (free) the con is sacrifices potential customers. Most businesses are willing to take that hit- but since this is your business that depends on who you are…a personal page is likely to be better for you because you want it to be about YOU! You are the brand and therefore the face of your business. Not convinced? Check out the links below once you have had time to decide.
Here’s how you can set up your business account:
Here’s how you can set up your personal account:
You need to have this app downloaded on your phone. If you don’t want to pay for special programs that often require contracts for payment… keep it on your phone for FREE! You cannot post on your computer for Instagram (for free). Hootsuite offers a free level of posting but it still requires you to have the app on your phone. If there is a particular time you want to post, it will send you a text with the image and caption that you scheduled.
But How Should I Post?
Great photos, of course! Post photos that you think others want to look at! Quotes and jokes are also great ways to draw an audience. Show that you are fun and having fun. Do not overwhelm your images with text! This defeats the purpose of Instagram. Remember, post photos that YOU like.
Don’t miss opportunities with captions. Just using hashtags will get you temporary followers. Instagram is a strange place because of this. There are some Instagram users that will follow you and wait for you to follow them back. Then they will unfollow you. These leads are meaningless. If you wake up on day with 30 followers then fall to 10 by the end of the day- don’t fret. Those 20 were just wasting your time…wasting their own time really.
Use those hashtags! Just like in Facebook article, hashtags are great tools for you to expand your audience. Click here if you need a refresher.
On Instagram hashtags are golden. You will want to use multiple relevant hashtags. Hashtags featuring what is seen in the photo and what you write in your caption. A common successful number is 11 hashtags.
The little BIG things
- Include your website in your bio!
- Don’t always be selling… that’s right. We said it. You don’t always need to be promoting wines. In fact, if you do you will get some people annoyed.
- Do NOT over post. They are tons of articles out there that say you should post at lest 5x a day. This is for accounts that has tens of thousands of followers. Once again this is an algorithm situation. Your posts will show up multiple times to the same people so do NOT overwhelm them.
- Try new things! Social media is changing on the daily. Take a little risk. Change up your hashtags. Post a headshot. You do you.
- Be consistent. Do Not abandon your social media account. An account that is not updated is worse than no account at all. At the very least, post 1x a week.
- Make it about you! Use your amazing personality. Find your niche in the social media world.
- Follow us! @winedecadence We will do our best to follow you. If we don’t, send us a message on Instagram.